Recent research shows that despite tremendous amounts of media attention in past years, the majority of CBD products continue to have labeling inconsistencies.
Dr. Tod Cooperman, founder of Consumer Lab – an independent 3rd party lab that’s been testing vitamins and supplements since 1999 – said in an interview that he’s “skeptical” of CBD labeling accuracy. “I would say at least 30 percent of the labels are accurate,” Cooperman commented. “The other 70 percent aren’t accurate or are just not telling you on the label what to expect.”
The Most Recent Investigation
ProVerde Laboratories in Massachusetts tested multiple samples of CBD products purchased directly from shops. These included gummies, oils, topicals, and vape juice. The lab results showed that not a single product tested contained the amount of CBD that was listed on the label. As a matter of fact, only 1 sample was within 20 milligrams of the displayed amount.
The CBD gummies (from an unlisted company) contained only 1.4mg of CBD each, instead of the 15mg that was listed on the package. Pain relief cream from Medix Biotech claimed to contain 150mg of CBD, but test results came back with only 25mg. A vape juice that was tested had a label reading 500mg of CBD, but in reality there was just under 140mg. The only one that came in close was Reme Cann’s CBD tincture, which is supposed to have 250mg of CBD, but actually had slightly less, around 230mg.
History of CBD Labeling Issues
A large scale study of various CBD products conducted in 2017 was on par with Cooperman’s statement that nearly 70% of CBD products were mislabeled. They contained either higher of lower concentrations of the cannabinoid than what was listed and some even had THC, which can lead to intoxication and make you fail a drug test.
This is not a new problem. Just last year, few prominent companies ran into some issues when a 3rd party tested their CBD products. The result wer very depressing…
How to Protect Yourself
For starters, you’ll want to buy products from companies that publicly offer 3rd party lab tests. There are many CBD business these days that have started posting lab results online so you can have access to all this important information.
You can also check out our CBD Testers Verified companies. We have personally tested many products for safety and effectiveness, so you can rest assured that you’re getting what you paid for.
Either way, you must use due diligence when shopping for CBD products. These are being used to treat a health condition or improve your overall wellness, so make sure only the best is going on or in your body.
Leave a Reply